Mechelen is one of Flanders prominent cities of historical art. The city lies on the major urban and industrial axis Brussels–Antwerp, about 25 km from each city. With +/- 84.000 inhabitants it’s the 5th largest city in Flanders.
Introduction to Mechelen
Mechelen is located in the Dutch-speaking region of Flanders, Belgium, and is situated between Brussels and Antwerp. Despite its central location, Mechelen remains a hidden gem that is often overlooked by tourists. The city has a lot to offer visitors, from its stunning Gothic architecture to its bustling food and drink scene.
Travel to Mechelen
Mechelen is located in the middle between Antwerp and Brussels and therefore has excellent train connection between both cities and the rest of Belgium. Trains are operated by NMBS/SNCB. For more information visit the Belgium Public Transport Guide.
Best things to see and do in Mechelen:
- Grote Markt: Mechelen’s central square is a must-see attraction, lined with beautiful historic buildings and home to the famous Stadhuis (town hall) with its ornate facade.
- Saint Rombouts Cathedral: This towering cathedral dominates the skyline of Mechelen and offers stunning views from the top. Climb the tower to get a bird’s-eye view of the city.
- Ijzerenleen: Known as the “Champs Elysées” of Mechelen, this picturesque street is lined with cafes, shops, and historic buildings.
- Haverwerf: Located on the banks of the river Dijle, the Haverwerf is a picturesque area with beautiful houses and charming cobblestone streets.
- Planckendael Zoo: This sprawling zoo is home to over 300 species of animals from all over the world. Visitors can get up close to giraffes, elephants, and even pandas.
- Technopolis: This interactive science museum is perfect for kids and adults alike. Visitors can learn about physics, chemistry, and biology through hands-on exhibits and experiments.
- Toy Museum: Mechelen’s Toy Museum is a must-visit for anyone interested in the history of toys. The museum has a large collection of antique toys, dolls, and games from different eras.
Mechelen Tourist Map
In conclusion, Mechelen may not be the most well-known travel destination in Belgium, but it’s definitely worth a visit. With its beautiful architecture, rich history, and delicious food and drinks, Mechelen is the perfect place to experience the best of Belgian culture. We hope this guide has inspired you to plan your visit and explore all that Mechelen has to offer.
Where to next?
20km to Antwerp
20km to Leuven
30km to Brussels