Are you planning a trip to Belgium and looking for the perfect coastal destination? Look no further than Ostend! Located on the North Sea coast, this charming city offers a variety of attractions, from beautiful beaches to historic landmarks to a vibrant nightlife scene.No wonder it’s nicknamed “Belgium’s Queen of the Seaside Resorts”.
Ostend is a coastal city in Belgium known for its stunning beaches and rich cultural history. With a population of over 70,000 people, it is one of the largest cities on the Belgian coast. In this article, we will explore the top attractions in Ostend and provide tips on how to plan your perfect trip to this beautiful city.
How to travel to Ostend
- From the UK: When traveling by car from the UK, you can either take the ferry or Eurotunnel to cross the channel. Currently the Ostend Ferry Harbor is closed until further notice.
- By plane: The Ostend-Bruges airport is mostly used for freight and private passenger flights. Most international travelers will either land in Brussels-Zaventem or Brussels-Charleroi Airport.
- By train: Ostend can be easily reached by train from many major cities including Bruges, Ghent, Brussels, Antwerp.
- By coastal tram: All Belgian coastal tows are connected with the coastal tram, making it incredibly easy to explore the Belgian coastline.
Where to stay in Ostend?
Ostend has plenty of different accommodation types to offer. Apart from the classic hotels and romantic bed & breakfast’s there are also many apartments available for rent.
Getting around in Ostend
Ostend can easily be visited on foot or by bike. You could also hire a skelter at one of the many stalls at the beach promenade.
Best things to see and do in Ostend
- Explore the City Center: Start your visit by exploring Ostend’s charming city center, which is filled with historic buildings, quaint shops, and delicious restaurants. To explore the city center, simply walk along the main streets and take in the sights and sounds. Be sure to check out the beautiful St. Peter and St. Paul Church, which dates back to the 17th century.
- Visit the Fish Market: Experience the local culture by visiting the Fish Market, where you can sample freshly caught seafood and learn about the local fishing industry. To visit the Fish Market, simply walk to the Visserskaai, where the market is located. The market is open every day except Monday.
- Relax on the Beach: Ostend’s wide sandy beaches are perfect for sunbathing, swimming, and water sports. The beach is also home to several beach bars and restaurants where you can enjoy a refreshing drink or a delicious meal. To relax on the beach, simply head to one of the beach entrances and set up your towel or rent a beach chair.
- Visit Fort Napoleon: This historic fort dates back to the Napoleonic era and offers stunning views of Ostend’s coastline. The fort also houses a museum showcasing the history of the fort and its importance in defending the coast. To visit Fort Napoleon, simply purchase a ticket at the fort entrance or book a guided tour in advance.
- Visit the Mu.ZEE Museum: For art lovers, the Mu.ZEE Museum is a must-see attraction. This modern museum houses an impressive collection of Belgian and international art, including works by James Ensor, the famous Ostend-born artist. To visit the Mu.ZEE Museum, simply purchase a ticket at the museum entrance or book a guided tour in advance.
Ostend Tourist Map
Ostend is a beautiful and vibrant coastal city in Belgium that offers a variety of attractions for visitors. Whether you’re interested in history, art, or just relaxing on the beach, Ostend has something for everyone. By following the tips in this article, you can plan the perfect trip to Ostend and make unforgettable memories.