Welcome to the beautiful province of Namur, located in the Wallonia region of Belgium. Known for its stunning natural landscapes and rich history, Namur offers visitors a unique blend of outdoor adventures and cultural experiences. From the picturesque Ardennes forest to the charming medieval city of Namur itself, there is something for everyone to enjoy in this diverse province. In this article, we will explore some of the top things to see and do in Namur, as well as provide tips for planning your visit. So pack your bags and get ready to discover all that Namur has to offer!
Cities and Towns to visit in Namur
Namur city the capital of the province with the same name.The historical city is located between rivers Sambre and Meuse. Due to it’s location it’s considered to be the “Portal to the Ardennes forests’.
Dinant is a small and charming city located at the riverbanks of the river “La Meuse”.
Best things to see and do in Namur province
- Explore the medieval city of Namur: Known as the “Capital of the Ardennes,” Namur is home to a well-preserved old town, complete with cobbled streets, historic buildings, and picturesque squares. Be sure to visit the Namur Citadel, a UNESCO World Heritage site that offers panoramic views of the city and the Meuse River.
- Hike in the Ardennes Forest: The Ardennes is a must-see destination for nature lovers, offering a wide range of outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, and horseback riding. The forest is home to an abundance of wildlife and offers beautiful views of the surrounding landscape.
- Visit the Grotte La Merveilleuse: This cave is located in the town of Dinant, and is one of the most visited tourist attractions in the province. It offers a unique subterranean experience and visitors can admire the stalactites, stalagmites and other limestone formations.
- Take a boat trip on the Meuse River: The Meuse River is one of the most important waterways in the province, and offers visitors the opportunity to take a leisurely boat trip and enjoy the beautiful scenery along the river.
- Visit the Château de Modave: This beautiful castle is located in the village of Modave and offers visitors a glimpse into the region’s rich history and architectural heritage. The castle is open to the public and offers guided tours of the historic buildings and grounds.
Where to stay in Namur?
The province of Namur has plenty of quality accommodation to offer. Apart from traditional hotels and romantic B&B’s, you can also rent different types of vacation homes, cottages, bungalows etc. Camping grounds are also widespread across the province.