Are you planning a trip to the Belgian Ardennes? Then Dinant is a must-visit destination for you. This picturesque town offers a diverse range of attractions for visitors, from its rich history and stunning natural beauty to its lively cultural scene.
Top Things to See and Do in Dinant
- Explore the Dinant Citadel: This fortress sits high above the town and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding area. Take a guided tour to learn about its history and see the various exhibitions on display.
- Visit the Collegiate Church of Notre-Dame: This 12th-century Gothic-style church is known for its impressive architecture, including its bell tower which offers panoramic views of the town.
- Outdoor activities on the Meuse River: The Meuse River runs through Dinant and offers a variety of activities such as kayaking and boat tours. Also, the town is home to several hiking and biking trails that wind through the nearby countryside.
- Attend cultural events and festivals: Dinant is home to a lively cultural scene and hosts various festivals and events throughout the year, such as the Dinant Jazz Festival which brings jazz musicians from all over the world to the town.
- Discover the Grotte la Merveilleuse: This limestone cave is located near Dinant and offers visitors the opportunity to explore and admire the beautiful natural rock formations.
- Learn about Leffe beer at the Maison Leffe: Take a tour of the brewery and taste the famous Leffe beer, which is cursed in Dinant.
Travel to Dinant
Dinant is the perfect destination for a day trip in Belgium. The town is quite compact and most highlights you can see in about 3-4 hours. Due to the geographical location, the greater area of the municipality of Dinant is also the perfect base for discovering the Ardennes region.
Dinant is located at about 30km’s south of Namur. Travelers with their own motorized vehicle can either follow the E411 highway from Namur and take exit 20. Alternatively, the N92 offers a more scenic route from Namur to Dinant.
Trains to Dinant:
There are no direct trains from Brussels to Dinant, but you can take the IC train to Namur where you can switch to the IC train to Dinant.
|Brussels||Dinant||2 times / hour||+/- 2h||switch in Namur|
|Liège||Dinant||2 times / hour||+/- 1h40||switch in Namur|
For more information visit the Belgium Public Transport Guide.
Where to stay in Dinant
The Abbey’s near Dinant are responsible for some of the finest local specialties: Beer and cheese.
Leffe Abbey gained international fame for their strong beers, although the production has moved to the Stella Artois brewery in Leuven. Leffe is available in blond and brown, with the latter one my absolute personal favorite. Which better place is there to drink it then at the Leffe Café in Dinant, offering you the best view on the river.
The Maredsous abbey also gained national fame for it’s beer as well as it’s cheese. Maredsous blond has a alcohol percentage of 6% Maredsous brown has 8% alcohol and Maredsous Amber holds 10% alcohol. Combine these strong beers with the delicious Maredsous cheese for the best tasting sensation.
Where to go next?
30 km to Namur
60 km to La Roche en Ardenne
50 km to Durbuy